With the majority of customers now on Facebook, the desirability of using Facebook to help market your business seems like an easy decision. But before cranking up your Facebook marketing, give some careful thought to these reasons why a Facebook business page can actually turn away your customers.
- Using Too Seldom – If customers visit your Facebook page only to see an empty page or with a last post dated many months ago, it will seem as if your business is going out of business. Remember no activity means no interest which means no sale.
- Using Too Much – Anybody who “likes” your business page automatically sees your business posts on their wall. This is great unless 50% of your customer’s recent wall activity is your business. Businesses need to use Facebook regularly but not to the point of seeming to be “spam”.
- Being Boring – This is where remembering the audience is so important. Just because something is interesting to you doesn’t make it interesting to the customers.
- Being Irrelevant – When someone “likes” your business on Facebook, it typically means they are interested in your business for the product or service you deliver. Posting about personal problems, politics or similar matters may not go over well with customers who simply thought they’d get some special offers.
- Ignoring Comments – When you post on Facebook, it is not uncommon to get comments back. Each comment should be treated just like an inbound email message and given the appropriate follow-up.
A Facebook business page is like a customer’s next-door neighbor. Neighbors you never see, who talk too much about boring things and who don’t listen are not your favorite next-door neighbors. And so it is with Facebook business pages.